Wednesday, January 6, 2010

this year i'm in to flavor and color



i think the key to staying healthy has to be flavor. and i'm NOT talking about synthetic, produced flavor in some kind of chippery. i know i'm not saying anything new, but this year i really need to implement this. i like food. i love the taste, the smell, the colors, textures. i mean really, what's not to love? the problem is food loves me and has some "detachment" issues.
we've also discovered that red 40 makes rykon hyper. at least we think. we're still observing, but we're pretty sure, based on what we've read and how he acts. that stuff is in ALOT of processed foods, not to mention popcicles. so getting him off of it will mean cutting out lots of things he loves, but it's for the best (not to mention good for my sanity :O).
i've made room in our grocery budget to kick it in to gear. there are so many delicious things out there that have great nutritional attributes. i've been taking our product "JUS" now for about 2 years, so i have the peace of mind that i'm getting my daily nutritional & antioxidants needs met each day, but that hasn't helped me shed my extra weight. i go over this and over this all the time. we've lived on such a tight budget for the past 3 1/2 years that it's held me back from cooking and eating the way i'd really like to. but now i'm in full mode to step it up. part of the sacrifice means i'll be cutting back on the coupon savings because as wonderful as they are, they really only save me money on things that aren't good for me. so our goal this year is to slowly rid our pantry of junk food and replace it with healthy options. my kids are young enough that they won't know the difference and now is as good a time as any to train their pallette, not to mention my own :O)


so if you have any great resources, ideas, recipes, and grocery options that will save me in the pocket book as well as on my calories, im all ears.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hey Steph. I was perusing blogs and came across yours. :) Hope you don't mind. :) I've been "healthy living" for about two months now and it has been the best decision I've ever made. LOVE IT! sparkpeople.com has a bunch of recipes that are good and low calorie. Let me know if you find something REALLY good!

Sue (Wood)

Meg said...

You need to look up growbox on google. I am going to get some soon an grow some of the veggies that we eat in a regular basis. They are easy to do and maintain. You can also grow it organic. It's a great way to save on the produce you use on a regular basis. They produce a lot as well. Goodluck and keep on!!